Date: Mondays, June 1-July 6, 2020 (Six Weekly Sessions)
Time: 10:00-12:00 AM PST
Medium: Mixed Media
Supply List: https://winslowartcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Susan_Wiersema_Supply_List-.pdf
Our live online classes are taught via Zoom. Students have the opportunity to interact with the instructor and other participants, watch live demos and receive feedback and instruction. You will have access to a class chat forum where you can share work, comment and ask questions. Once you’ve enrolled, you’ll receive instructions about how to access the class.
To take this class, you need a microphone and camera enabled computer OR an IPad /smart tablet OR a smart phone (android or IOS) and a strong internet connection.
Join Susan Wiersema for this interactive, 6-week, online series and expand your mixed media toolbox. Participants will work in a mixed media “journal”. Discover a new technique each week and apply them to your mixed media journal. Susan continues to expand on her techniques so you’ll learn something new, even if you’ve taken her techniques class before!
- Week 1 – Image Transfers – Learn techniques for transferring images-from photos, drawings, book illustrations and more- onto a variety of different surfaces, including dictionary pages, sheet music and colored paper. Discover how to use your transfers in your mixed-media artwork.
- Week 2 – “No Rules” Watercolors – Susan will walk you through the basics of her “no rules” watercolor approach to help you get past your fear of this versatile medium. Learn about the variety of different tools available, their uses and how to add colored pencils and pen and ink to enhance your watercolor paintings.
- Week 3 – Drawing in Pen and Ink – Discover the different tools of the trade including ink pens, sharpies, quill pens and different varieties of paper. Explore techniques for stippling, cross-hatching and scribbling
- Week 4 – Colored Pencils – Learn about different types of colored pencils, from wax to water-soluble. Explore new surfaces to work on and discover to incorporate colored pencil into your mixed media.
- Week 5 – Collage – Susan will go over the basics of collaging in a journal. Learn how to add found paper, dictionary pages, old travel memorabilia, or even your favorite candy wrapper. She’ll show you how much fun it can be to add colored pencil or pen and ink to them to tell a story!
- Week 6 – Journaling 101 – Explore different types of journals, from pre made to handmade. Learn about the art of journaling and how to incorporate collage, pen and ink, colored pencils, watercolor, and ephemera.